Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Rainy Days

We are in a pretty critical situation right now at what should be the peak of planting season. We are getting rain every day and that is not good. The ground is saturated and field work is at a standstill. I usually never fuss about rain but I am getting very concerned.

We have about two and a half weeks left for peanut planting within the planting window. The crop insurance deadline is even closer, though we are asking for an extension of ten days on the deadline.

Sun is forecast finally for the weekend and early next week but we need some time to dry out a bit. Fieldwork won't start in all locations the minute the sun comes out. Those who do rush tot he field I hope they have a strong and long chain.

I am also concerned that if we end up drying off too much we don't have a really strong root system so drought at pod set could be devastating. We need the crop planted and up, then a little stress to get the roots deep and then rain every week at pod set. I don't want much do I?

No comments: