Monday, June 16, 2008

Welcome Rain

Friday, I visited with a farmer who is being driven crazy by resistant pigweed (Palmer Amaranth). We also discussed the weather, corn irrigation, and a host of other issues.

Thankfully starting last week and to some serious extent on the weekend we got better rainfall around Georgia's Peanut Belt. We were beginning to need it and for the folks that had a few yet to plant after wheat it was a welcome sight.

The weather started out like last year pushing down from the Northwest. These were real storms with Gulf moisture this week and that is what we need to make a peanut crop.

Yesterday, I even got caught in a hail storm. That was not welcome but I don't think widespread either.

The minister at my Church who gave the benediction yesterday prayed for rain and we got it. I guess we will have to keep him around.

No comments: